Experiencing a harsh winter? If you have been keeping cozy by a wood burning stove or fireplace, you also have a lot of wood ash from spent firewood. Wood ash is the powdery remains of firewood that is left in the wood stove collection tray or beneath the firewood grate in a fireplace after wood is burnt.
Did you know a cord of wood produces around 50 pounds of ash? Before you chuck it in the bin, discover the wonderful ways to reuse this mineral rich material.
Wood ash has been used as potash to enhance the soil by both farmers and gardeners for centuries. However, you do not have to own a farm in order to benefit from the many uses of wood ash. Below is a list of ways to use this natural product no matter where you live:
- Ice Remover that does not damage concrete or lawn/landscaping
- Barrier for garden/landscaping pests like slugs and snails
- Clean glass fireplace doors by dipping a damp sponge in ash, then scrubbing
- Shine silver by creating an ash/water paste
- Odor remover
- Stain remover
If you’re in a pinch or find yourself “off grid”, you can use wood ash for personal (or pet) hygiene/health including:
- Main ingredient for soap
- Toothpaste when combined with equal parts of one or more of the following: baking soda, orange peels, lemon peels, turmeric, cinnamon, anise, cloves, activated charcoal, bentonite clay, xylitol, and calcium carbonate
- De-skunk a pet
- Hair treatment to reduce oily scalps
- First aid to fight infection of wounds and burns
From cleaning to beauty products, wood ash has many uses. So, what are you waiting for? Put that pile of soot to good use!
Premier Firewood Has the Best Kiln Dried Seasoned Firewood
Premier Firewood Company is your trusted, go-to provider of high quality, kiln dried firewood for sale. No more mess, no more hassle, and no more hauling wood. Just quick, easy service; we’ll even stack up your firewood for you, too! Order online, or call us at 203-866-4252 today.