How to Build a Fire at Home: Tips for Building a Great Fire in Your Fireplace
Learning how to build a fire for your home fireplace is a key skill set to have for any homeowner. While it may seem daunting if you’ve never completed the task, with the right insight, you’ll see that it’s not too challenging at all. Below, find our tips for building a great fire at home.
- First, make sure that you damper is open before you actually get started. Additionally, in between fires, leave the ash in the bottom of the fireplace. It will help to reflect the heat of the fire right back to the source.
- Begin by placing one medium size piece of firewood along the back of your grate. Place several pieces of fatwood, which is kindling or the fire starting material of your choice, beside it.
- Next, place another medium size piece in front of the first, leaving space between the two logs. You don’t want them touching, you want there to be sufficient airflow to feed that fire.
- Add two to three additional pieces of firewood atop the bottom two logs, and perpendicular to them. Add one final log across and on top of those.
- Crumple a few pieces of newspaper underneath the grate, light them up, and your fire should get crackling in no time.
- Add additional logs every 30-45 minutes. If the fire is dying down, more kindling will help to get it back, and poking the burning firewood logs can help stoke the fires as well.
Of course, one of the best tips for building a great fire is using the right firewood. At Premier Firewood Company, the low moisture content of our kiln dried firewood for sale guarantees that it’ll burn. It’s also cleaner and more energy efficient than seasoned wood as well.
Now that you know how to build a great fire at home, call us today at 203.866.4252 to learn more about our kiln dried firewood for sale and delivery across New York and Connecticut.